top of page

License and Registration

See Our Services for License & Registration at Falher Registries

License and Registry

At Falher Registries there are a number of driver's licensing services we deal with. Please see below for more information.

Basic Qualifications

To become a driver in Alberta, there are a few qualifications you need to meet. For instance, if you’re not yet 18-years-old and married or self-supported, you will need to provide proof that your parent or guardian has consented to let you drive. While applying for a first-time license/identification card registration, your parent or guardian needs to be with you and present acceptable identification.

Outside of age requirements, you will also need to pass an eye exam. Please note that the minimum standard to pass for this is determined by the class of license you want to apply for.

You may even need to manage medical documentation, depending on your age. Starting at 75, you’ll need to do a medical for your driver’s license. However, anyone applying for a Class 1, 2, or 4 license will need to submit a medical.

Regardless of age, if you happen to have a medical condition, disability, or disease, you are legally obligated to report it. You can report it by submitting a report directly to Alberta Transportation for review, or you can have us do so for you.

The final qualification for becoming an Albertan driver is residency. Anyone applying for their driver’s license or identification card must be a legal resident of Alberta and one who is legally present in Canada. To prove your status, you will need to present the following items:

Work Visa

Permanent resident card

Canadian citizenship

Utility bill

Residential lease agreement

Letter from Alberta-based employer

Identification Requirements Proof

To help you apply for a motor vehicle service, Falher Registries needs to verify your identity through a strict identity confirmation process. This process requires information/documents that will satisfy the following three categories:

Who You Are

For this category, you will need to provide the following photo documents that contain your legal name and date of birth:

Alberta operator’s license or identification card

Photo driver’s license (from another jurisdiction)

Passport (if it’s foreign, please provide the appropriate immigration document with it)

Permanent resident card

Citizenship card

Firearms possession certificate

Métis nation of Alberta card (new version)

Secure certificate of Indian status card (federally issued)

What You Have

For this category, you need to have supporting documents for two data elements, such as your name, date of birth, signature, or address. These elements can come from either the first category’s list of items or from the following items:

Birth or marriage certificate

Work Visa or student Visa

Telephone, cable, gas, or utility bill

Government employee identification

Health-care card

Please note that the following items are not acceptable to use for this category:

Interim/temporary driver’s license

Business cards

Membership cards (i.e., Costco, video, grocery store cards, etc.)

Insurance pink cards or registration cards


What You Know

For this category, we need to verify your personal information against the Motor Vehicles System. This information can include the following:

Phone number

Current address

Previous address

Vehicle registrations

The lists for these categories are not all-inclusive, so if you have an unmentioned document you’re not sure you could use, please don’t hesitate to contact us. However, if that document happens to be expired, a photocopy, or illegible, please note that it will not be accepted.

Change of Address

Once you've decided to move into a new place, you'll need to change your address on your driver's license and registration. To do this, please follow these steps:

After you have completed both steps, we will issue you a temporary license until your permanent card comes in the mail within 5 to 10 business days.


Driver’s License/Identification Card Renewal


Need to renew your driver’s license/identification card? Falher Registries can help! Just come to us with your existing license and a second piece of identification. For more information on what identification you can use, see the basic qualifications and identification requirements proof sections.

If your card has been expired for more than six months but less than three years, you will need to provide us with proof of residency. But if it’s been expired for more than three years, you will need to not only provide proof of residency but also undergo all mandatory tests.

If you have met all our requirements, we will issue you a temporary license until your permanent card comes in the mail within 5 to 10 business days.

License and Registration Services

Since we are an authorized agent for Alberta Registries we can help you with the following license and registration services.

Vehicle, motorcycle, off-highway, and trailer registrations

Prorate services (registering commercial vehicles to travel inter-provincially and/or into the USA)

Driver’s license renewals, first-time applications, and out-of-province exchanges

Alberta identification card renewals and first-time applications

All classes of knowledge exams, including air brakes

All classes of driver examinations (not including the Class 5 GDL Advanced Road Test)

Ignition interlock applications

Restricted license applications

Temporary safety fitness certificates

Demerit reduction course entries

Personalized license plates

Out-of-province inspection requests

Vehicle information reports

Learner’s license prep kits

Call us today to get started on your driver’s license and registration in Falher!


Contact Us

Get in touch with us today.

bottom of page